SD Edges Nuts and Bolts 10-9 to Improve to 2-0.


As far as I know, we have no one of Mexican descent on Shattered Dreams, but we celebrated Cinco de Mayo in style tonight and I don't think anyone this side of the Rio Grande could say they enjoyed a fiesta more than we did this evening. (I'll have to check the records, but I am pretty sure we are undefeated on May 5th). You can take your $3 Margaritas and your fajita specials at Mustangs. I'll gladly settle for un partido de beisbol and an exhilarating SD victory (though I will graciously take the ice from your bucket of Coronas, thanks).
This game had it's ups and downs and was truly a classic. We beat a good team and again showed resiliency - coming back from early deficits with a vengeance and locking down the defense to limit the opposition in the late frames. We sent a message to the league tonight. Like Santa Anna storming the Alamo, we couldn't be stopped. On to the highlights..
Ay Carumba! The first inning started inauspiciously as the opposition's diminutive leadoff hitter smacked a HR to left field and then the hits kept coming. N&B was ordering up runs, like 1994 Duff was ordering Beef Mexi Melts at a Taco Bell drive through....Neither ended well and both were equally disgusting to watch. A dejected SD squad came to the dugout down seis. I stepped to the plate and spoke with Blue prior to the bottom half of the inning. He told me - "It's a long game don't worry about the first inning...and.... where's my boy Collins?"
In the book it's a single or a HR or a ?...but all i know is that I ended up scoring, swallowing a boatload of dirt and we were on our way...Hits in the first followed from Craig, Flat, Ian, Hans and Robbie. 6-4. Game on. A second inning rally started by El Chico de Cumpleanos (Jefe) and BP netted us 2 more runs.
Dios Mio! What a game. A seesaw battle brought us to the bottom of the 4th down 8-7 when Seltz knocked in one of the most painful runs ever to tie a game. Nuts and Bolts indeed!!!! I came home from this game dirtier than a Tijuana brothel but I still feel great.
A tip of the sombrero to the top 5 in the order tonight for a productive 8 RBI (Will, Craig, Seltz and Ian with a pair each) and 6 runs scored. Throw in 3 hits,R, RBI from Hans (who has reached base all but once this year), 2 more hits and an RBI from Robbie and some great OBP from BP....This lineup is a modern day's Murderer's Row!
While the D was spotty at times, big plays were made when it counted. How about Senor Jerry Miller? Jerry does all the little things and is fundamentally sound, but like Richie Valens' backup band, he sometimes gets overshadowed. But Yerry had his La Bamba tonite with a head's up alert play backing up first to stifle a rally. Muchas gracias!
He once had an awkward moment just to see how it feels. He lives vicariously through himself. He is..the most dominant pitcher in Yorkville. BP has an unquestionable thirst for a championship and it shows. He worked through trouble in the first few innings, held the opposition down from inning 3 on, and closed the door in the 7th. Stay thirsty my friend.
Brian at TGIF, Penn Station for a post game brew
As the game neared the late innings, SD again found themselves down by a run. Perles drew a one out walk, followed by a double in RCF and a clutch 2 RBI double by Craig L. Caliente! Craig is so excited to be back on Shattered Dreams that, like Speedy Gonzalez, he just keeps running around the bases!
The history of Cinco de Mayo is that a greatly outnumbered and out-equipped Mexican force defeated a larger French army in the battle of Puebla. Was it knowledge of the terrain, passion or sheer will that made Los Mexicanos victorious? Who knows, but dare I say that our experience and will to win helped us edge out a tough competitor today? Lots of fight in this team....Great win tonight!
Esta noche, festajamos!
Unfortunately I won't be there next week (nor will Duff; Jeff D and Rohin are questionable). So please line up some backups. Can't wait to hear the highlights.
Buena Suerte Amigos
Suenos Por La Vida
SD4L
do you even know what a PLETHORA of runs is?????
awesome will...
ReplyDelete