Thursday, July 3, 2003

4th inning blues

by Jeff D


Bill Buckner and the Red Sox, Charles Smith against the Bulls, Mariano Rivera Blowing the World Series to Arizona, The New York Giants giving up the lead to the 49ers in the playoffs. There are too many Mets moments to go into. But the point is that every team will have that moment that will be remembered forever. A moment that is just so disheartening and upsetting that it is hard to ever forget about it. Last night, Shattered Dreams experienced their worst moment in their history.
 
The 16 run inning was devastating. Devastating on so many levels. Although, I take a huge chunk of responsibilty for it, the team just collapsed. The good and bad of our team is that we play to our emotions. This is great when the offensive is rolling and everyone is feeding off each other and making great contact with the ball. Runs start happening, people are out of the seats yelling and cheering. The bad of it is when the team makes one or two errors or the pitcher allows one or two walks, we get into a funk over it and then it snowballs into more and more errors and more and more walks. It is a hard concept to change because emotion is such a huge part of the game and Shattered Dreams most certainly solidifies that point.
 
I hate waking up in the morning but this morning was a little rougher for me. Knowing that we let a victory slip out of our hands is brutal. I know that every single person on that field knew that we were the better team and that what took place last night was an obstruction of justice. Prior to the game when I was coaching third, the girlfiend of one of those filthy animals predicted a mercy rule in the third inning. Who would have thought we might be on the losing end of it. I know this is probably going to make everyone feel a little bit worse but hopefully feeling this way should fuel a passion to never want to feel this way again. I most certainly don't.
 
It is much easier written that actually doing it but what we need to do is move on and not look back at what took place. I mean this in the micro and macro scope of the game. If the pitcher walks somebody, thats it, move on and make sure we get the next guy out. If a fielder should make an error, shake it off, move on and make a good play next opportunity. On a grander scale, if we lose a game, understand what happend, know the next time it won't happen again and move on to the next game. Because, I am fairly confident lightning won't strike twice for the opposing team. They caught a break last night. I know don't do that as I should. and the team doesn't do that. I harbor bad feeling when I make an error. If I make a popout, it bothers me in the field the next inning. It is a hard thing to change but I know that somobody on the team will step up for me. That is what makes the team great.  We all want to play the best we can and we all don't want to let the team down. The fact of the matter is though, we are all going to make errors, we all will misjudge some balls and for some of us who pitch, we will walk batters. It is part of the game.
 
If there was any silver lining on this rain cloud, it was our hitting. We are hitting excellent. For three games now, we have put forth over 15 runs a game. That is a stark difference from when we started. Most of the team played smart last night when we were down and took pitches. We had base runner almost every inning. Unfortunatley we dug ourselves into a hole that we were not able to crawl out of. We need to keep up this offensive momentum. Without putting a jinx on anybody, there are some nice streaks going on right now. One of the dreams is on path to break the all time record for reaching base consecutively during a season. The record has been in place for over 13 years and the press is starting to word of the momentous feat.
 
I am down this morning and I am sure you could definatley sense it from this email. Shattered Dreams will come back stronger than ever next week for our game. I am completely confident of that. Last night is a tough pill to swallow and it will probably go down as one of the worst moments in SD history. The 16 run nightmare..  Wipe your hands clean of it, shake off the filthy dust from your jersey, clear your mind of misery and GET READY FOR NEXT WEEK WHEN THE DREAMS WILL BE BACK STRONGER THAN EVER AND LOOKING FOR VICTORY!!!! HOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAA
 
have a good 4th everybody.......

No comments:

Post a Comment